Monday, May 31, 2010

The other "football"

There are two major sports that I don't and have never followed: Soccer and Hockey. In my house as a kid it was all about the NFL and MLB. More so, the NFL. Maybe it was because we actually had local professional teams of those sports to root for and I as fan felt that connection? Yes, yes I believe so. This was etched into my brain ever since I was able to comprehend that David Klingler was the worst quarterback I've ever seen. Actually, even earlier than that; Super Bowl XXIII was especially brutal to watch at the end. That hurt. It hurt real bad.

I guess in retrospect maybe I should have started following a different sport. Or at least a different team. Sheesh.

Anyhow, I know one hardcore NHL fan and he is from Connecticut. Thus, reaffirming my belief that all hockey fans are from Jersey or the UConn (that's my very creative original name for that state). And I only know two hardcore FIFA fans. One of them is a guitarist I play with who is from Honduras. Thus, reaffirming my belief that all Hondurans are genetically predisposed to like/love/play soccer. Uncle Taco is one of the coolest dudes out there by the way.

So, with the World Cup approaching which starts June 11th in South Africa, I've decided to see what all the fuss is about and maybe, ya know, watch a game or two. Plus, their fans seem to clean up really well.

 **********************************************

WORLD CUP LINK MADNESS:

- We have to start somewhere right? Here's the Official Website of the FIFA World Cup.

- Actually, maybe we should have just started here.

- Well, this is a no-brainer. I mean c'mon, it only happens every four years. You're telling me you didn't sit back and pound beers and eat chili-cheese dip in preparation for the Lysacek v. Plushenko showdown during the Winter Olympics? No?

- These 2010 World Cup odds came out in December '09. I didn't find a better list and have no idea if they have been updated since Santa came. So there you go. 

- Advertising for the 2010 World Cup.

**********************************************

I LEARN ABOUT THINGS FROM YOUTUBE: 

I learned how to headbutt my opponent.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

I learned that Erin Andrews isn't the only one who gets harassed.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

I learned that goalies get owned on a regular basis.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

I learned that this kid should probably have used a smaller, less inflatable ball.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

And I learned that this guy should pay more attention when eating ice cream.

We'll end with this...Play ball!


No comments: