Sunday, February 28, 2010

But this one goes to 11

I listen to all types of music but I tend to lean more towards the harder edge stuff most of the time. You can't really pigeonhole metal music like you could in say the late 80's or early 90's. You knew metal when you heard it. The Metallica's, the Megadeth's, etc. that was metal then.

Today there are so many sound crossing genres, that strictly saying something is "heavy metal" doesn't really have the same meaning to me personally anymore. It's just has a harder sound for lack of a better description or maybe just call it "metal". Call it alternative metal, nu-metal, whatever I don't care. It's music (although you are entitled to your opinion as am I.) Britney Spears? Sorry, not music. More so computer generated noise with a pretty face attached (although I could be stretching it with the pretty face part.)

I digress. Here is some new music coming out sometime in the Spring from two of my favorite bands; Sevendust and Deftones. I also recommend the new Fear Factory album and the latest from Mastodon that came out late last year.

Another "metal" band that came out in the early 90's was Pantera. They set the standard. They were well ahead of any band in that genre and were doing things that most couldn't fathom....I found this video of music students from Highland Heights, KY doing a cover of Cemetery Gates by Pantera. This is what kids should be doing dammit.


In case you were wondering, here is the original by Pantera.

Other bangin' entities:

- Saw these guys in concert last year. Easily top three of concerts I've ever been to.

- The reunion of Faith No More catapults Day 2 of Coachella.

- Festival season is looking solid with the exception of Lollapalooza (I'd rather stick my dick in a meat grinder than listen to Lady Gaga and Green Day.) Will I get to go to any? No. I'm not made of money and the money tree I had in the backyard was dug up by the dog who also decided to snack on it....But still looking solid none the less. My big 3: Coachella, Bonnaroo, and Rock on the Range.

- The first chimpanzee to appear on Intervention?

- I've got nothing for this, sorry. It's that exceptional.

- Sign me up!

- Remember the days when Saved by the Bell had it's own world premiere prime time special? Ah, the world was so much simpler then.

Don't fuck with Betty.

This winter has just been brutal.

I hope having to deal with this is not in my future.

\w/

No comments: